- Vitamin K2: The most important nutrient for getting calcium to where it belongs in the bones. It is critical for helping the bone matrix to attract calcium ions.
- Magnesium: Vital for bone formation and helping to maintain calcium balance.
- Kelp and Nettle: A rich source of bone building minerals including calcium, magnesium, zinc, manganese and boron which help support bone mass.
- Horsetail: High in silica which helps to support bone health and bone mineral density. Also high in boron and other trace minerals.
- Zinc: Important co-factor for enzymes needed to stimulate the bone building osteoblast cells.
- Vitamin A: Helps to draw calcium out of the tissues which Vitamin K2 can then move to the bone matrix.
Collagen powder is well known for its benefits as a beauty supplement, but it is vital for a number of functions within our body, including supporting our connective tissues and optimising joint and bone health. Collagen makes up to 90% of our bone matrix and is important for supporting bone mineral density, structure and function, especially as we age and our natural production of collagen starts to decline. As the collagen network in our bones weakens and breaks down during aging the bones lose strength and become more brittle and susceptible to fractures. Most people are not consuming enough collagen rich foods like bone broths on a regular basis and so collagen supplements can provide an easy solution to get in this rich source of nutrition to support our bone health. Hydrolysed collagen powder has been shown to have a positive therapeutic effect on bone related conditions like osteoporosis and osteoarthritis, with a potential increase in bone mineral density, protecting the articular cartilage and helping to relieve symptomatic pain (1). The dynamic bone matrix of collagen fibres is reinforced with other important nutrients that help to support bone strength and help the bones to absorb compression forces and resist stress fractures. Here at Planet Paleo we have created our Osteo blend for bone health, combining hydrolysed collagen powder with the best bone supporting herbs and co-active nutrients including: