This time of year can be rough on skin with stress, overindulgence and excess alcohol leaving you feeling and looking less than your best. The harsh weather, air conditioning and heating during winter can also affect your skin health, leading us to appear tired, dry and dull and prone to breakouts. Not ideal when you have so many festive parties and Christmas gatherings to attend.
In the winter, whether being battered by bitter wind or inside a heated house, our skin takes a hammering, which can leave it dry and flaky. A drop in humidity means water evaporates off our skin quickly, so it is more prone to dryness. You may want to reach for those richer moisturisers, oils and serums for a beauty boost at this time of year, but don’t forget what is going on inside. Glowing healthy skin starts from within and a diet based on whole foods with some targeted supplements can help you to support your skin health all year round. Here are our top tips for skin health this Winter:
- Hydration: No, tea, coffee and alcohol do not count! Ensure you are drinking plenty of water throughout the festive season to stay hydrated- this will help to plump up the skin and support collagen production as well as flushing toxins out of the body.
- Exercise: Keep active through the holidays, those who regularly exercise have been shown to have better collagen production, and increasing your heart rate and blood flow helps to deliver more nutrients like oxygen and vitamins to the skin cells.
- Collagen powder: Collagen supplements can help skin to look soft and supple- research showed it helped to improve skin appearance, decreasing lines and wrinkles, dryness and scaling. It can also help to lock in moisture, a study found it helped to improve skin elasticity and hydration, which is vital at this time of year.
- Antioxidants: Antioxidants protect and defend the body from damage, they support our skin by countering unhealthy cell damage. Pack your diet with colourful fruits and veggies. Our Primal Goddess collagen powder is full of antioxidant rich berries like Acai and Sea Buckthorn to protect the skin from free radical damage.
- Turn the heat down: It can be tempting this time of year to bathe in boiling hot water or linger in hot showers, but very hot water can strip the skins natural oils and have a drying effect. Try to use lukewarm rather than scorching water to protect the skin.
- Hyaluronic acid: A great choice in colder seasons to aid hydration and plumping.
- Rest: The less sleep you get the more likely you are to have under eye bags. Not getting enough shut eye leads to fluid pooling under the eyes, leading to puffiness.
Winter weather and our festive diet and lifestyle choices are not optimal for skin health, but employing some of our tips and taking your daily dose of collagen should help skin to remain soft and glowing throughout the season. Primal Goddess is our winter saviour, we combine a good dose of collagen powder with hyaluronic acid, antioxidants, nutrients and herbs which offers the skin some extra protection over the winter season.