- Eat mindfully: Try to avoid completely stuffing yourself over the festive period. Try to thoroughly chew your food which can reduce the amount of air intake and cause you to eat more slowly, linked to a reduction in bloating.
- Little and often: Eating too much at once can lead to bloating, so try eating smaller meals and snacks throughout the day rather than overindulging at every meal time.
- Digestive enzymes: Supplements like digestive enzymes can help your body break down food and ease discomfort.
- Bitters: Bitter foods and herbs like artichoke stimulate digestive juices and are great taken before or at the beginning of a meal to get bile flowing and prepare the body for digestion.
- Herbs: Try digestion supporting teas and herbs like fennel, mint, ginger, licorice and chamomile.
- Collagen powder: Collagen supplements contain anti-inflammatory amino acids like glycine which helps to soothe the gut lining, support the structure of the gut and its overall function. Glycine also helps to regulate stomach acid ensuring optimal digestion.
Top Tips for Festive Digestive Support
The festive season is upon us, time to kick back and enjoy yourselves for a few days or the whole month! It's easy to justify an extra mince pie here and a few chocolates there at this time of year, combine with a few nights out and excess alcohol and it can start to take its toll on your digestive system, leading to us feeling bloated and uncomfortable. Time to spread a little festive digestive love, and look after our guts so we can feel our best heading into the new year... Bloating usually signals a gut problem, though at this time of year many factors are at play including stress, lack of sleep, travel and simply overindulging. Eating rich foods can lead to digestive transit slowing down, and that combined with overdoing it on sugary foods can lead to fermentation, gassiness and bloating. Give your digestion a helping hand this year with our top tips for gut support: Tips for festive digestive support